What to Bring and What to Leave at Home
We suggest you bring the following items on your Enrichment Voyage:
- Camera/video camera
- Battery powered alarm clock
- Reusable water bottle and travel coffee mug
- Light jacket for rain
- Sun protection (hat and sunscreen)
- Medical items (seasickness medication, non-aerosol insect repellent with DEET, and any prescription medication)
- Personal hygiene items (toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc.)
- Sweatshirt to wear on the ship or on air-conditioned buses
- Active wear for exercising onboard the ship or adventurous excursions in port
- Semi-formal wear for special dinners
- Credit card (to use for your shipboard and field accounts)
- Cash (most countries readily accept US dollars. We recommend you bring small denominations of cash to avoid receiving local currency as change.)
Because all luggage will be stored in your cabin, we recommend soft-sided, collapsible luggage, such as rolling duffel bags. Additionally, all personal items must be stored inside your cabin for the duration of the voyage.
Pillows, linens, and towels will be provided on the ship. Laundry service is available onboard for an extra cost.
Participants are permitted to bring up to two (2) sealed alcoholic beverages onboard per port as souvenirs only. Bottles brought onboard must be checked by security at the gangway upon arrival and may not be brought to cabins for consumption or storage. Alcoholic beverages are available for purchase at several locations throughout the ship.
In accordance with the United States Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and the International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS), the following items are prohibited on the MV Explorer and will be confiscated by ship’s security. Note that this list is not intended to be all-inclusive and is updated as necessary. To ensure the safety of all participants, ISE may determine that an item not listed below is prohibited or that a permitted item is dangerous and cannot be allowed on the vessel.
Note: Prohibited items are confiscated and destroyed
- Disabling chemicals or other dangerous items (mace, pepper spray, tear gas, spray paint, liquid bleach, fire extinguishers)
- Drug paraphernalia (pipes, water pipes/hookahs) even if they are replicas or souvenirs.
- Due to storage limitations, large items are prohibited (oversized suitcases, steamer trunks, large musical instruments, exercise equipment, bicycles, scuba gear, large souvenirs). Exception to above: one surfboard may be brought per person, it must fit inside the cabin. ISE is not liable for any damage to personal items due to rough seas, cabin cleaning, or any other reason.
- Explosive materials (fireworks, flares)
- Flammable items (cooking fuels, flammable liquid fuel, gasoline, lighter fluid, gas torches, torch lighters, flammable paints, paint thinner)
- Guns and firearms (ammunition, BB guns, compressed air guns, flare guns, pellet guns, paint ball guns, starter pistols, realistic replicas of firearms, flare guns)
- Items that produce an open flame (incense, candles, oil lamps)
- Items with a heating element or hot element (clothes iron, hot pot, coffee pot, halogen lamps). Exceptions to above: a curling iron or hair straightener (with proof of automatic shut-off ONLY) and a personal hair dryer (for independent travel/field trips only—not for use on the ship; a hard-wired hair dryer is provided in each cabin for personal use)
- Items that compromise the safety of the power grid (power strips, extension cords, octopus plugs)
- Live plants
- Martial arts/self-defense items (billy clubs, black jacks, brass knuckles, kubatons, night sticks, nunchakus, stun guns/shocking devices, throwing stars)
- Pets or live animals
- Taxidermy of any kind or size
- Select sporting goods (baseball bats, darts, bow and arrows, spear guns)
- Select tools (crowbar, saws, hammers, axes/hatchets)
- Sharp items (box cutters/utility knives, ice axes/picks, knives, meat cleavers, sabers, swords)
- Unsealed fresh, prepared, or dry food
- Sealed fresh food, that is not packaged in individual portions and cannot be consumed at one time
- All beverage containers with twist-off caps (bottles of water, soda, sports/energy drinks). Exception to above: distilled water needed for medical equipment. Distilled water for medical equipment must have an unbroken seal.
- Adhesive tape (duct, sticky, double sided)
- Over-sized fossils (or stones)—usually acquired near volcanic sites
Please call 877.224.0797 if you have any questions.